Kanda Poha is a popular Maharashtrian breakfast cuisine. Kanda meaning onion, this recipe is nutritious and really easy to make.
2-3 tbsp oil
2 cup poha (medium)
1 big onion chopped
2 green chilli chopped
1 tsp ginger chopped finely
½ tsp tumeric
½ – 1 lemon juice
¼ cup peas (frozen)
1/4 cup beans chopped (fresh /frozen)
1 carrot (small) chopped
¼ cup peanuts roasted
1/8 tsp sugar
1 tsp Mustard
½ tsp Jeera
Curry leaves few
Fresh coriander leaves to garnish
1. Wash Poha in a sieve with enough water and keep aside. The poha should be moist.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy base pan, add mustard seeds and when it starts crackling add cumin seeds, green chilli, onion, ginger and curry leaves. Sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Now add frozen peas, carrot, beans and stir. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes covered.
4. Add roasted peanuts and stir.
5. Add the poha, turmeric powder, sugar and salt. Mix well.
6. Cover the pan and cook on low flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
7. Remember poha must be moist and not dry. If you feel it’s a bit dry, sprinkle some water over the above mixture and stir.
8. Remove from flame. Add the lemon juice and give it a mix.
9. Leave it covered for 5 minutes
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.