Bajji or pakoras are a popular snack in India especially during the monsoon season. Enjoy these easy to make crispy onion bajjis with a hot cup of tea or coffee this winter season.
1/2 cup besan/ gram flour/ chick flour
2 medium white onions (halved & thinly sliced)
1-2 green chilli finely sliced (as per taste)
1 tsp Carom seeds
¼ tsp Baking powder
2 Sprigs Curry leaves (optional)
1tbsp vegetable oil/butter
Salt (as per taste)
Oil for deep frying
1. Take a large bowl and add besan, green chilli, curry leaves, carom seeds, baking powder, 1 tbsp oil and salt. Mix well.
2. Add onions and squeeze the onions with your hand.
3. This helps release moisture from the onions. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
4. The mixture should be such that the sliced onion are lightly coated with batter.
5. If need sprinkle 1 tbsp water and mix again.
6. Heat oil in a heavy base pan on medium heat.
7. With moist hands lightly drop a tablespoon of the mixture into the hot oil (do not squeeze the mixture).
8. Stir gently and fry until evenly cooked, crisp and golden brown.
9. Drain on paper towel.
10. Serve hot with tomato ketchup.