300 – 400g Beet root
1 tbsp urad dal
1 tbsp chana dal
1 tsp jeera
1 tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
4 -5 red chilies (as per taste)
¼ tsp asafetida/hing
4-5 green chilies
1 tsp jaggery
small lemon size tamarind
mint and coriander leaves – few
1 garlic clove crushed (optional)
½ tsp turmeric
curry leaves – few
1. Cut the grated beetroot into small pieces. Fry in 1 tbsp oil until a bit crunchy. Add mint and coriander leaves and keep aside.
2. Soak tamarind in hot water.
3. Heat 4 tsp of oil in a small skillet, when hot add urad and chana dal. Once the dals are fried add jeera, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, hing, red chillies, chopped green chillies and curry leaves. Let it cool.
4. Transfer the tadka into small blender jar, add raw crushed garlic. Dry grind in small jar first. This will make the grinding part easy. Then transfer this mixture into a big jar.
5. Add fried beetroot, salt, turmeric, jaggery and soaked tamarind pulp.
6. For a coarse consistency – press the wiper button of the food processor/mixy for 2-3 seconds until the desired consistency. Taste & adjust the seasonings. Remove the pachadi into a bowl.
Take 1 tsp oil in a small skillet, when hot add 1 broken red chilli, 1tsp urad dal, 1/4 th tsp each of jeera & mustard and when it starts crackling add some curry leaves. Remove from flame and pour over the pachadi.
Recipe courtesy: Vijaya Dandu